Every time is more and more difficult to remember all the passwords, alphanumeric combinations really easy to hack, in only 5 minutes they can access your account; up to 8 days if you combine capital letters.
A research by GP BULLROUND, JANRAIN and SPLASHDATA published at METRO reveals how simple are the most used passwords, among others password, 123456, 12345678, and full words as monkey or dragon.
Professor John Chuang and his team at the University of California, Berkeley, think ‘passthoughts’ are the future of passwords.
A headset, which can be bought on Amazon for less than £70 called the NeuroSky MindWave, measures the brainwaves of the thoughts established as password and lets you in. According to professor Chuang, the passthoughts are difficult to hack and can’t be guessed by observing the smudge patterns on your device’s touchscreen.
However the system has a reliability of 99 per cent. The remaining 1% responds to the fact that scientists are still not certain whether brainwaves are as distinctive as fingerprints and retinas.
Geoff Anderson, co-founder of London-based company PixelPin, app developed by Develapps, thinks a 99% is not enough.
PixelPin suggests a different way of replacing easy-to-hack alphanumeric passwords, it allows you to set any photograph you choose as the lock for your device. The key to access your device is four ‘passpoints’ set on the photograph, chosen in sequence.
Anderson is dubious of biometrics in general, and in password using biometric aspects, among other reasons, because if you ever get hacked you can’t reset your fingerprints or your eyes.
The idea is that this method is more resistant to hacking because it becomes impossible to search for known words or sequences and visual memory is a lot more reliable than the part of your brain which keeps forgetting your PIN number.